Monday 3 March 2014

No.28 - Memories - 3rd and Final Year

My final year at school was in Mrs Staniforth’s class. She was a lady from Kilnhurst and looked a bit frightening at first but her warm heart soon came to the surface after getting to know her. There was a time in this class when we were allowed to come to school on our scooters (no, not motor scooters) and park them in the top end entrance until it was time to go home. This was really great when travelling home down Valley Road. It was also in this year that I became one of the milk monitors. Each morning we would collect the milk trolley from Mr. Parkes and load it up with crates of milk. We would stop at each classroom along the corridor and find out the number of bottles required, leaving the crates outside.

This was also the year that I was sent to the Headmistress, Miss Horsfield. As I remember, it was a day when Mrs Staniforth must have been off school and the teacher in the class next door was watching over two classes at the same time. We were supposed to be reading with one book between two people on each table. I seemed to have had a struggle with a girl with whom I was sharing a book and the pages were torn. The teacher on discovering this assumed I was to blame and sent me with the book to the Headmistress. After scolding me severely she slapped my legs. Ouch!!!! Well I suppose these incidents do stick in our minds don't they. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember Mr and Mrs Parkes and Mr and Mrs Scholey very well. I was academically talented at the school and got on great with everything except the art classes when I would often be sent out into the corridor. There I made great friends with the caretaking and cleaning staff! Chris Barnes, March 2017.

    ReplyDelete