Monday 3 March 2014

No.1 - Introduction:

Hi! My name is Alan Peace and I was a pupil at this school between 1954 and 1957. My reason for setting up this blog site is to provide a historical account of what it was like attending a brand new school in the 1950s. Obviously there have been many, many pupils passing through this same school for decades now and each will have their own story to tell. I wanted to give an account of my own experiences and memories from a period back in time and invite others to do the same. I attended both the 40th and 50th year celebrations at the school but missed the 60th unfortunately.  In 1993, following the celebration, I visited my old headmistress, Miss W Horsfield, at her home in Crosspool, Sheffield. Yes, this lady who had registered my name on my first day at school and slapped my legs for accidentally tearing a reading book in an argument with a girl in our third year was now welcoming me, as an old school pupil, into her home for a cuppa. She showed me a photograph album which had been given to her on her retirement. The photos were mainly of the school and children of the 1950s/ early 60s, and she kindly allowed me to borrow the whole album and photocopy the ones I was interested in. These are the photographs which are now included in this blog with the kind permission of Mr Paul Walters, photographer of Mexborough. The older photographs taken about 1950, which pre-date the new infants school, are of the 'old' infants school which seems to have been split between the Nursery Hut (now Robin Hood Pub car park) and the old junior school. I have included these photographs as they are still part of the 50s era and are probably fairly rare anyway, so I'm sure someone out there will appreciate their inclusion.
Please feel free to write your comments on the blog and name anyone you recognise, correcting any names I might have got wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment