Monday 3 March 2014

No.12 - Special Days of the Year - Christmas

To be honest I can’t remember whether we had a Nativity Play or not. Anyone remember? 
I know we sang carols and the one I remember most, which seemed to have a sadness about it, was: 

In the bleak mid winter, 
softly winds may moan. 
Earth stood hard as iron,
water like a stone. 

IN THE BLEAK MID WINTER <<<<CLICK HERE

I also remember preparing presents for our mothers such as Christmas cards, Chinese lanterns, little cross stitch cloths, bookmarks or something similar, in the lead up to Christmas. Not sure if dad got anything!  But the thing I remember most is Father Christmas and was he the ‘real’ one or not? I think we’d manage to work it out that he was none other than Mr. Parkes, the caretaker of the school. We each had to go up to Father Christmas in the Main Hall to receive our presents, and very good presents they were too. No expense spared. I also remember walking home on a winter’s night all the way down Valley Road and looking in the bay windows to see who had Christmas trees with lights shining. Even today I like to visit Swinton and travel from the school down Valley Road just before Christmas, to try and recapture that same atmosphere. Almost every two or three houses I pass had kids that went to our school. In fact the whole Highfield Estate (which I think was its proper name) was covered with kids from our school at that time.


1 comment:

  1. Do you have any photos from 1960,61,my name Susan Latham,brother's Stewart and John,

    ReplyDelete